TAKE ACTION! Tell Senators Burr & Tillis to Oppose Confirmation of DeVos for Secretary of Education
The committee vote on President Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, is expected to take place on January 31st. Ms. DeVos' confirmation hearing last week demonstrated her lack of preparedness and qualification for the position to which she was nominated.
We must tell North Carolina Senators Richard Burr and Thom Tillis to OPPOSE DeVos' confirmation.
Our country deserves a Secretary of Education who understands the responsibilities of the department and believes in value of public education. Unfortunately Betsy DeVos:
- Has demonstrated no previous commitment to ensuring equal educational opportunity in schools;
- Has never been an educator or worked directly with children and families in public schools;
- Has never led a school, district or state agency tasked with educating students, or even been a public school parent or student;
- Has exclusively focused on privatization instead of considering important public school values such as equity, quality, efficiency, transparency, and accountability;
- Expressed during her confirmation hearing unwarranted and total deference to state flexibility in areas that are solely within the Department of Education’s purview, such as federal civil rights laws like the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA);
- And has displayed a complete lack of interest in or concern over accountability for all schools receiving federal funds, such as Title I funding for students living in poverty, demonstrating her overall lack of understanding of the role accountability systems play in student outcomes.
TAKE ACTION NOW! Use the form below to write Sen. Burr and Sen. Tillis and tell them to OPPOSE confirmation of Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education, or reach out to them using one of the numbers below:
- Sen. Burr: (202) 224-3154 or (800) 685-8916
- Sen. Tillis: (202) 224-6342 or (704) 509-9087